Sunday, December 1, 2013

Lesson 2

Romans 14:13 Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather determine this—not to put an obstacle or a stumbling block in a brother’s way.

We should be constantly aware that the world does not see things the same way that Christians do.  When it comes to judgement, everyone has an opinion about when and how, even whether or not we should judge.  Study the scripture in context.  Look up other scriptures related to judgement.  Here are some questions to consider:

  1. How does the world view judgement?
  2. How should the child of God view judgement? 
  3. What does Paul mean when he says we should not put an "obstacle or a stumbling block in a brother's way"?
  4. Am I exercising godly judgement?


    Pray for godly wisdom in all this.

4 comments:

  1. Class members,
    Please post your thoughts/comments. I want to know your perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul is not speaking of sin in this context - he is referring to matters in which Christians may have honest, legitimate differences of opinion. One important lesson here is that we should not frivolously exercise our Christian liberty without considering our brethren because what may be a matter of opinion to one could be a matter of faith to another, or it could involve something that tempts another in an area in which he/she is weak.

    Much of the world hates the concept of judging simply because they see it as an unwanted infringement on personal freedom. Unfortunately, I believe the church has bought into that to the extent that we sometimes turn a blind eye to sin or to each others' struggles. However, it is impossible for the Christian, or anybody else, to navigate life without judging others. For example, how can we correct and exhort one another or go to the extreme of exercising church discipline as directed in 2 Thes 3 without judging? I believe that the key (and the challenge) is to be motivated by a spirit of gentleness and love so that we judge with the best interests of the other in mind and so that we do not judge hypocritically or with the intent to harm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the above! As I examine what the world is like today, and how the world reacts to "judgement," it makes me believe that some of the sins that are committed, may be done by one person, however, brushed under the carpet by others. My experience in the law enforcement field for 20 years allowed me to see this first hand, by members of the community that I was involved in as well as by members of the law enforcement agency that I worked on.
    Now, as we relate this thought of "judgement" to the church, I would also say that we all fall into this avenue of "Judgement," myself included. Now I'm not saying that this is all bad, because I do feel that there has to be some sort of accountability for our actions. Unfortunately, this stigma of being judged makes it so members of our church do not want to "go forward," or ask for needed help.
    I recently had a deep conversation with one of our members who was struggling with some very serious difficulties. This member said something to me that I will never forget, and to be quite honest, I was embarrassed. This member said, "I want to go forward and ask for help, but I am afraid of how people will treat me and act different around me." Now if that does not get to your heart strings, then I do not know what will. Are we really passing judgement on others as they come to ask for help?
    Are we, members of our Lord's Church really considered in this fashion? What can we do to change this?
    In the case here in Romans, We have to remember that there were Gentiles as well as Jews who were converted into Christianity. One believed one way and one another way. Paul is trying to unite this body of believers to understand that they come from different backgrounds.
    So, I mention this to indicate that we too come from different backgrounds. God loves us all and every day is standing, waiting with His arms open waiting for us to take that step towards Him, and not consider the actions of others our difficulty to bear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some great posts above. Ever heard this famous line: "There but for the grace of God go I"? This is attributed to John Bradford. He was an English preacher born in 1510. At age of 45 he was executed by Queen Mary by being burned at the stake. His crime was preaching the true Gospel of Jesus Christ and exposing England as a nation that had forsaken God.



    His famous quote reminds me that we can only judge properly if we first love deeply. Not a worldly love, but a love based in Christ. We will then be able to see that we, like all other sinners, stand in need of grace.

    It will change our hearts and actions. We will better understand righteous judgement; and more importantly the need for it.

    ReplyDelete